What is Rare?
Rare diseases are defined as rare when less than 250,000 Americans suffer from a specific disease.
Other Rare Disease Facts:
- Over 7,000 rare diseases have been found.
- 1 out of every 10 Americans will be diagnosed with Rare Disease
- 30 percent of children with rare diseases won’t see theirh 5th birthday.
- 35 percent of deaths in the 1st year of life are due to rare diseases.
- 50 percent are children diagnosed.
- Around 30 million people in the US are living with a rare disease
- 95 percent of rare diseases don’t have FDA approved treatments.
- 65 percent of rare diseases are associated with shorter life spans.
- Rare diseases impact more people than cancer and AIDs combined.
- 80 percent of rare diseases have a genetic origin
- Rare Disease Day is celebrated the last day in February.
- Almost all pediatric cancers are considered rare diseases.